Victorian Premier, Daniel Andrews, this morning announced there will now be five reasons people can now leave home as Victorian coronavirus restrictions begin to ease.
Mr Andrew’s has announced people in the state of Victoria will be allowed to have five guests in their homes. These changes will come into effect at midnight on Tuesday and last for at least three weeks.
He said seeing family and friends would now be the additional fifth reason for people to leave their homes.
“It will be allowed for you to go and have dinner or a visit with family and friends, that doesn't mean and it is not an invitation, to be having a dinner party at every house every night,” Mr Andrews said.
“We have to use our common sense. We have to be proportionate, recognise that this is far from over.”
He also announced 10 people would be able to meet outdoors for recreational activities, and that the AFL had agreed on conditions to begin training again in groups of 10, paving the way for the league’s return.
Under the changes, it means that there will be five reasons to leave your home:
- Shopping for food and supplies that you need
- Care and caregiving
- Exercise and outdoor recreation
- Work and education – if you cannot do it from home
- Visiting friends and family – if you really need to
In addition to the above 5 reasons, the following is now also permitted:
- Outdoor gatherings being permitted with up to 10 people
- Indoor gatherings at home are permitted, with 5 visitors able to visit the normal residents of a household
- The ability to leave the house for exercise will be expanded to include outdoor recreational activities. These activities can occur in groups of up to 10 people outside, but the requirements on physical distancing remain
- For weddings 10 guests are allowed, plus the couple and the celebrant
- For funerals, 20 people will be allowed at an indoor ceremony and 30 people at an outside ceremony. This is in addition to the minimum people required to conduct the funeral
- Religious gatherings and ceremonies will be permitted with up to 10 people, plus those required to perform the ceremony
Victorian school students will head back to school in a stage approach.
Preps, Grade 1 and 2 and Year 11 and 12 students will end remote learning and go back to school on May 26, and from June 9, years 3 to 10 will join their schoolmates and return to the classroom. Students in Years 3-10 will still be allowed to attend classrooms early if they are unable to learn from home. All special schools will also reopen on May 26.
The Premier said cafes and restaurants will remain takeaway only until the end of May at earliest.