How can we help you?

Make an enquiry

03 5223 3453

Contact us

03 5223 3453 Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm
OFFICE ADDRESS Level 7, 60 Moorabool Street
Geelong Vic 3220, Australia
POSTAL ADDRESS P.O. Box 4233, Geelong Vic 3220, Australia

Fuel Tax Credits for businesses


Fuel Tax Credits for businesses

The Government is providing businesses who have purchased fuel for their business with Fuel Tax credits. This has been designed to provide businesses with a credit for the tax that is included in the price of fuel.

Fuel Tax Credits includes fuel used in business activities such as:

  • Machinery
  • Plant
  • Equipment
  • Heavy vehicles
  • Light vehicles travelling off public roads or on private roads

Depending on when you acquire the fuel, what fuel you use, and the activity you use it in will depend on the amount you receive.

It is important that when you do your business activity statement you ensure you check the rates, this is because the fuel tax credits rates change on a regular basis.

Fuel Tax Credit rates are recorded twice a year in February and August, this is based on the upward movement of the consumer price guide.

The Fuel Tax Credits rates for fuel used in heavy vehicle travelling on public roads will change in July. An increase in excise duty rates means that in July rates will also change for biodiesel.

Petrol, diesel, and all other fuel and petroleum-based products that fall under the excise and excise equivalent customs duty rates between 30th March to the 28th September 2022 have been halved.

However, fuel used in light vehicles of 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass or less, travelling on public roads are not eligible.

Tax credits are available based on:

  • The fuel tax credit rate when you bought the fuel
  • The business activities you are using the fuel for


You will be able to claim fuel tax credits on your business activity statement.

You can claim fuel tax credits at the time you acquire the fuel, however, you must claim within four years. You are required to lodge the BAS for the tax period in which fuel was acquired and the day after lodgment of your BAS the four years will start.

Eligibility criteria

To make a claim for fuel tax credits, you must be registered for:

  • Goods and services tax (GST) when you acquire the fuel
  • Fuel tax credits when you lodge your claim

You can claim fuel tax credits for fuel you purchase, manufacture, or import for business use.

To see if you are eligible for the Fuel Tax Credits and to see how you can register click here 

Simply call 1300 4 MORRIS and speak to one of our finance specialists to see what we can do for you.